Friday, July 8, 2016

Update To My Must Read in 2016

I didn't post my update in April because something had to give and blogging was it. I've been reading many of my Must Reads in 2016 as well as a few that have been some Must Reads! Here is my original post. Looking back over those that I have read so far, I can't think of one that I haven't liked. Of course, there are some other books that have come up along the way. I've also been making an effort to read more nonfiction books. I've always said that nonfiction is my book gap. Out of the 29 that I first selected I've read 15 so far.

They are: Everyone Loves Bacon, Do Not Open The Box, Booked, Be A Friend, Bear's Big Day, Duck Duck Porcupine, Stormy Night, Hoot and Peep, Horrible Bear, Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics, Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to be in This Book), The War That Saved My Life, Comics Squad: Lunch, Firelight (Amulet #7), Hour of Bees, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn.

I have slipped in a few other reads that were not on my Must Reads in 2016. I really enjoyed Took by Mary Downing Hahn. It has enough creepy for my students without being too scary. It is on the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan chapter book nominee list for next school year.  Also on the picture book list is Intersteller Cinderella by Deborah Underwood. This was a fun take on the typical Cinderella tale. 

I've read two that were not on my original list, but need to be on everyone's to read list. These two books have stayed with me long after I finished reading them. The first is Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book was incredibly well written and one that I could not put down. This book made me feel so many emotions, including ones that I was not expecting. I continued to think about the ending of this book for days after I finished it. If you haven't read this one yet, make sure you add it to the top of your to read list.

The second book is Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story by Caren Stelson. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I was able to read an ARC of this book from NetGalley. It will be published on October 1st. Wow, just wow! This book is so powerful. I knew a bit about the creation of atomic bomb and the events surrounding the dropping of them. But I really didn't know about what happened after the bombs fell. My heart is heavy thinking about what all the innocent victims had to go through. This is a story that needs to be told. Make sure you get a hold of a copy of this book in October. 

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

1 comment:

  1. Lots of wonderful picture books on your list, and I agree, everyone should read Wolf Hollow. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete