Monday, March 31, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

Wow, I thought I would get back and post last week, but little did I know on Monday that a touch of the stomach bug and Book Fair would take up all of my time. The chapter books that have really stuck with me over the past few weeks are Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker, Seven Stories Up by Laurel Snyder, Marty McGuire Has Too Many Pets by Kate Messner, Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue by Tom Angleberger and A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. I actually read A Snicker of Magic two weeks ago, but didn't get a chance to write about it.

12860772
Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker was a good read, but I wasn't in love with it. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I had to, as someone else said, suspend reality to believe that the events in the story could really happen. It kept my interest, but it is one that I would be selective in recommending to students.



17883943Seven Stories Up by Laurel Snyder is another one that I was so excited to read. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I really enjoyed Snyder's Bigger Than a Breadbox, so I was thrilled to realize that this book had ties to that book. It is a great easy historical fiction book for those students who need to ease into that genre. This book has even more meaning for me because I'm in the process of researching my family history. There are some days I wish I could go back in time and ask questions that were not asked before my relatives passed away.  I can't wait to get this book into my library because those students who have read Bigger Than a Breadbox will be thrilled!

18114539

Marty McGuire Has Too Many Pets by Kate Messner was another great book in this series! Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I was delighted to read another book about Marty and her adventures. This time she moves onto pet sitting. Well, in true Marty fashion, things get a little out of hand. Can't wait to share this book with my students. In fact, I already have a hold on this book.



18685287Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue by Tom Angleberger is another winner the Origami Yoda series! Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book is a great continuation of the story Rebels fight against the test prep program Fun Time. Angleberger is able to tell a great story for students, but giving a voice to teachers who are frustrated with test prep. Since I put this book on my collection, it has not been on the shelf for very long.

18222556
A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd is one book that I can't say enough about! I LOVED it!! Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book had everything I look for in a book: mystery, action and adventure, friendship, and character growth. This is one of the few books that as soon as I finished reading it I wanted to start it all over again. If you haven't read this book yet, you really should. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I've got some new books that I've read for Book Fair that I'll be posting about this week. Tomorrow I'll be posting an update about my Must Reads in 2014.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

7 comments:

  1. Princess Labelmaker... CAN'T WAIT! :) Have a great reading week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got to so many great middle grade books. That is an area that I tend to overlook. I loved Seven Stories Up too. I still haven't gotten A Snicker of Magic or Princess Labelmaker. In fact, I am one book behind in that series. I have the Marty McGuire book ordered. There are so many books, but I tend to grab the YA books first. I will have to work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 4th & 5th graders keep me on my toes for middle grade books. Most check out times, I'm book talking between 4 to 6 books to multiple students.

      Delete
  3. Such good books on this list! I've read 7SU and Snicker. Need to read Marty for the next #SharpSchu book club and Labelmaker is on the radar too! Lots of good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disapointed with Marty or Labelmaker, both very good reads.

      Delete
  4. Hi there Stacey, looks like you've done a lot of reading the past week! I have yet to get my hands on Princess Labelmaker - we have pretty much the complete set of Origami Yoda at home. I hope I can get my hands on A Snicker of Magic soon! Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete