Monday, September 2, 2013

Alzheimer's Walk

This year I am so happy to be able to participate in the Alzheimer's Walk in my state.  I couldn't do it last year because I was attending the wedding of a close family friend.

This is a cause that is near and dear to my heart.  My Grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years before she passed away.  At first we noticed she had trouble remembering a few things, but nothing that we couldn't write off as getting older.  Our first big clue that it was more than just getting older was when she and my mom were in the kitchen making lunch.  My Grandmother looked at my mom and asked "How do you make a sandwich?"  She couldn't remember what to do.  Once my mom got her started, she was able to make the sandwich.  After that we began to notice more and more things that she couldn't remember.  It was extremely hard once she lost our names.  Grandma would look at us and know that we belonged to her, but couldn't come up with our names.  She also lost the names of other relatives.  After we spent three hours visiting her sister and nephew, my Grandmother looked at my mom, while they were walking to the bathroom, and asked "Who is that nice lady I've been talking with?"  
My Grandma and Pap

Like I said before she was only in the beginning stages of this horrible disease.  I can't imagine what other families have gone though as this disease continues to progress.  It was hard enough with Grandma only be in the beginning stages.

I'm walking to help raise money for research and treatment to hopefully one day have families not have to go through what my family and many others have gone through.  If you are interested in donating please click here. Thanks in advance if you donate.

Thanks for reading!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

No comments:

Post a Comment