Monday, June 10, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

Doll BonesWith the end of the school year coming fast, I haven't done as much reading as I wished I could have.  The only children's book that I've read recently is Doll Bones by Holly Black.  The cover drew me to it before I even read the book jacket to find out what it was about.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  As I read the book jacket I realized that this was going to be more than just a story about a doll.  But I wasn't sure if this was going to be a good match for me.  Well, once I started this book I couldn't stop until I got to the end.  I had to find out how Zach, Poppy, and Alice's adventure ended.  I don't think it will be a hard sell to those students who are always looking for a "creepy" book.  Some will want to read it from just the cover alone.

Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8

When I last posted on a Monday, I had just started Energize Research Reading and Writing by Christopher Lehman.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  Well, I've had a chance to finish this book.  It is so inspiring and really motivated me about the whole research process.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around putting the ideas into practice in the Library Media Center.  I can't recommend this book enough to everyone!

Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime ReadersAnother really great professional book that I've read recently is Igniting a Passion for Reading by Steven L. Layne.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  This was another inspiring book that has motivated me to change.  I realized that I had been so focused on research, that I forgot about the other really important aspect of my job:  motivating students to love reading!  I have to strike a happy balance between the two thing, research and reading.  This will not be an easy task because sometimes it is just easier to forget about one or the other.  So this is my challenge for the next school year.

Up next for me is Curse of the Ancients by Matt De La Pena.  This is Book Four in the Infinity Ring Series.  I really like this series because I'm such a history buff!  Just like the 39 Clues Series, it feeds my need for reading and history.

What is the top book in your To-Be-Read pile?  I'm looking for suggestions for my summer reading pile!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)


No comments:

Post a Comment