Monday, May 27, 2013

Perfect Square Activity

Trying to do some fun things to end the school year with my classes.  One of the nominated books for the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award is Perfect Square by Michael Hall.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I just loved this book!  It's a very fast read, but the kids have fallen in love with it.  After reading it and see what things the square could be made into, I gave each student a square.  I told them that they could cut, tear, rip, crinkle, wrinkle, or whatever they wanted to do to change their square into something else.  I gave them glue, so they could put the pieces together.  Then, if they wanted, they could get a piece of paper to mount it on.  After they finished, I let them use crayons to add details, if they wanted.

I was amazed at how creative my Kindergarten students were with this activity!  I wanted to show off a few of their creations.  I didn't want to have picture after picture, so I pushed myself to try a new technology tool,  Animoto.  This was my first attempt at a free video.  Well I love it!  I wish that could afford the Pro version, but I might be buying the Plus version.  My brain is just spinning with all the ways that I could use this in the library!

Has anyone else use Animoto?  If you please share what you have done.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)



Try our video maker at Animoto.


Make your own slideshow at Animoto.

1 comment: