Monday, April 8, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

This week I read a mixture of fiction and nonfiction.  I've been reading my "A" section in my everybody section becaue of the 2013 Shelf Challenge.  Read about my Day Three of the Challenge here and I will be posting about the past few days tomorrow.  It has been an interesting experience so far. 

Like Bug Juice on a BurgerBecause of the Shelf Challenge I've been doing a lot of reading, but I did fit in a bit of other reading.  I have, along with a third grade student, have been waiting for Like Bug Juice on a Burger by Julie Sternberg.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  I loved this one as much as the first book, Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie.  In Like Bug Juice on a Burger, we meet up Eleanor who is really excited to go away to the same sleep-away camp that her mom went to, for a few weeks until the summer.  She is really excited, until she actually has to get on the bus and go.  This book will tug at your heart strings as Eleanor tries to survive camp.  The illustrations by Matthew Cordell add so much to the book.  I'm so glad that he is illustrating this book.

Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our LivesThe other book that I got to read this week is Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives by Gene Barretta.  I learned so much for this book! There was so much I didn't know about Thomas Edison.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  An interesting fact that I learned was that during Edison's career he was awarded 1,093 patents.  The format that Barretta used added to the book.  On the left pages he talked about something from the present day and on the right pages he talked about how Edison helped create what he talked about on the left pages.  This is a great book and I'm going to have to look for others by Gene Barretta.

 The Water CastleUp next for me is The Water Castle by Megan Frazer Blakemore.  A fellow Nerdy Book Club member Susan Dee (@literacydocent) recommend this book to me.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  I can't wait to dive in to this book.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacey!

    I also loved Like Bug Juice on a Burger. This series is SO perfect for those 3rd/4th grade readers who aren't quite ready for longer chapter books. Sternberg writes stories with depth that are still accessible to striving readers.

    I can't wait to hear what you think of the The Water Castle. I'm meeting this author this week and I'm super excited! Love that thought that you are "spending time in Maine" with me as you're reading this week!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Like Bug Juice as well. I really want to read The Water Castle.

    ReplyDelete