Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day Three--Shelf Challenge


Well, it is Day Three of the Shelf Challenge for me.  Day One started off good, I read six books.  No books really stood out in the six that I read.  I had hoped to read more, but a teacher came in and we starting talking. I lost my momentum.  Day Two was a no go.  It was not a great day for me and something had to give.

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?Day Three has been a bit more successful!  I read eleven books in my "A" section!  I found some books that I loved and some that I needed to weed.  I even found one that was catalog wrong and needs to be moved to the correct section. (It was one of the ones that I loved!)

I'll talk about the one that was in the wrong section first, since it will be move tomorrow.  The book is Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  This book has many different illustrators who drew the answer to the question:  why did the chicken cross the road?  I don't think that I can pick a favorite, they are all so good. 

Mr. Putney's Quacking DogIn my "A" section I had three books written by Jon Agee.  They are Milo's Hat Trick, The Retired Kid and Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog.  I loved Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog the best!  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  I got a good laugh from all twists on the animals.  I'm going to have to find more of Jon Agee's books, I enjoyed the three that I read.  A funny thing is, that in the chicken book I mentioned above Jon Agee is one of the illustrators featured.

The PencilMy other good find, was one that I have read before, The Pencil by Allan Ahlberg.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  This is a story about a lonely little pencil who draws different things to keep him company.  Things get a little out of hand when his company starts complaining.  It gets a little crazy.  I laugh when students check it out, because most come up to tell me that someone has written in the book.  It is just the black and white drawings at the beginning.

I did find two rebus stories that I was removing.  The stories were about Hanukkah and Thanksgiving.  The story in rebus was first, but there were so many pictures in addition to the illustrations on the other page it drove me crazy.  Then in the back, without the rebus picture or illustrations was the story written in text.  The copyright date is 1989 for both and looking at the report I printed out for the "A" section told me that together the books had only been checked out a combined total of 14 times.  There weren't any check out in the past few years.

Can't wait to continue on with more "A" books tomorrow and this weekend.


Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

No comments:

Post a Comment