Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

I didn't get a lot of reading done this week because of the funeral for my friend and my visit from Henry Cole.  I did manage to finish one book and start another.

I Survived #7: I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863
The book that I finished was I Survived The Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 by Lauren Tarshis.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  I just love this series.  I have found that this series has gotten a lot of my reluctant readers to actually pick up a book.  They are short enough to not be overwhelming, but long enough to give a full understanding of the historical event.

The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery

The other book that I have started is The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  I saw this book mentioned in Steve Sheinkin's Bomb, and I thought that it looked very interesting.  I'm finding his life extremely interesting and I'm learning so much about Benedict Arnold.  I'm also going to be looking for Sheinkin's newest, Lincoln's Grave Robbers.  It sounds like another good one.

I'm trying to get back to reading all the nonfiction books I've checked out from the library.  My goal is to read 10 nonfiction books this week.  I figure if I post it, I'm more than likely going to follow through.

I'll also post, later this week, about my visit from Henry Cole.  A great time was had by all.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

5 comments:

  1. So true that by making your goal public it tends to make you follow through more often. I have one of the I Survived books in my classroom. I will have to move it to the top of the TBR. I also have The Notorious Benedict Arnold which I ordered from Scholastic because it sounded intriguing. It was only after I had it that I realized it was by Steve Sheinkin. I am definitely looking forward to reading that one. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Notorious Benedict Arnold! My dad is actually reading it right now. He just finished Bomb and was very interested in Sheinkin's other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know I should try out those I Survived books. I think I read the Titanic book a while ago but barely remember it now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacey, I do envy you. I haven't read any good nonfiction books lately. These ones do sound like they are enjoyable. My fifth grader daughter is also working on a historical fiction project for their literature class. She just finished reading the biography of Amelia Earhart by Candace Fleming and she enjoyed it. Let me know if you have recommendations for good historical fiction books. :) Will pin your books here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get started this week on Bomb. I've heard Lincoln's Grave Robbers is really great, too! Can't wait to hear about your stack of non-fiction books! Have a great week!
    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete