Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book and Bookmark Swap

The wonderful ladies at Teach Mentor Text, came up with a great idea to brighten up February with a book and bookmark swap.  I was so excited to participate because little did I know that I would need a big pick-me-up at the end February and beginning of March.

It was so exciting to be buying a book and bookmark for someone else.  I found that figuring out what book to buy was the easiest part.  I didn't realize how hard picking a book mark would be!  I saw that my person was a Reading and Social Studies teacher.  One of the genres she liked was nonfiction.  Since I had been reading Henry Cole books, an easy pick was his newest book, Unspoken.  It is a wordless picture book about the Underground Railroad.  Due to the death of a close family friend, I got my dates mixed up a bit.  But because of that mix up, I was able to get the book autographed by Henry Cole.  I hope my person really enjoys the book!


It was so exciting to come at the beginning of March, to find a package Crystal B. (@librarygrl2).  I couldn't wait to open it.  I was so lucky to find not one, but two books.  Crystal had sent me Almost Home by Joan Bauer and a nonfiction book One World, One Day by Barbara Kerley.  I was thrilled to see Almost Home in the book because it has been on my to-read list since September 2012.  I started to read it that night.  The book didn't disappoint me at all.  It was worth waiting for.  Crystal included One World, One Day because I indicated my book gap was nonfiction.  I was so surprised that I had never read this book before.  I had heard of it, but just never read it.  I liked it so much, I'm buying a copy for my school library.  I just loved the bookmarks that she included.  I fell in love with the notecards that she included as well.  Crystal took photos that she had taken, and use them as the pictures on the blank notecards.  I LOVE this idea!!!  I'm going to make some of my own notecards using pictures from my vacations to the National Parks.

Thanks again to the ladies at Teach Mentor Text for putting together this first book and bookmark swap.  I'm really looking forward to the next one!  A huge thank you to Crystal for the books, bookmarks, and wonderful notecards.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love hearing your story with the swap! I never anticipated the learning and sharing that would happen when we talked over this idea. I thought it would be fun but it sounds like for you it was more than that. I love it! Thanks for joining in and sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to leave a reply after reading, but you are so welcome. I really enjoyed having an excuse to go the bookstore and shop for someone else. I am glad that you enjoyed the books! I thought of you as I read Almost Home this weekend. I am glad it was on your Goodreads TBR shelf. I may not have read it so soon otherwise. ;)

    ReplyDelete