Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading??

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey and the kids' version borrowed from the wonderful ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.



You would think with two snow days and the weekend, I would have gotten a lot more reading done than I did.  I will admit that I really tried to read The Unfortunate Son by Constance Leeds.  I just could not get into the story.  I  started it many times, but it is one that is just not my cup of tea.  I'm using it as a lesson for my kids to teach them that they are not going to love every book.


A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic NovelI did read A Wrinkle in Time (The Graphic Novel) adapted and illustrated by Hope Larson.  I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it because I LOVE the original novel.  It is one story that I read at least once a year, if not more.  It was the first book that I bought on my Kindle.  It is one of a few novels that I read growing up and I still love today.  Many times I have found that when I go back and reread novels that I loved as a kid, I don't like them as much.  Overall I did enjoy this graphic novel.  I was very pleased to see it stick closely to the original.  The only problem I had was since I had read the novel before, I had pictures already in my head about what the characters should look like.  But if a student hasn't read the novel, this shouldn't be a problem.  Hopefully this graphic novel will send more students looking for the original novel!

The other book I read was Testing the Ice written by Sharon Robinson and illustration by Kadir Nelson.  I can't say enough about this book.  I just loved the story about Jackie Robinson testing the ice on the pond for his children even though he was scared of the water.  There was enough facts about Jackie Robinson for students to understand why he is important in our baseball history.  But it also shows a side that not everyone saw, because of the personal connection the author had because she was his daughter.  I was a little confused why this was considered a fiction book.  Any ideas?  I can't say enough about the illustrations by Kadir Nelson.  His illustrations are incredible, to say the least.  Each one of his books that I come across I am more and more impressed with.

Hopefully this week will allow me to read some more nonfiction that checked out from the library this weekend.  I found more of the National Geographic Face to Face books.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

3 comments:

  1. I felt the very same way about the Wrinkle in Time Graphic novel. The gray creatures that save Meg did NOT look like that in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered that gn adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard great things about the books you read this week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete