Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Monday!! What Are You Reading

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey and the kids' version borrowed from the wonderful ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.

I haven't been doing as much reading this past week as I would like.  Life got in the way!  But what I did read was GREAT!!

I finished Of Giants and Ice by Shelby Bach.  This was a great book for any kids who have always imagined themselves in a fairy tale.   Click here for the Goodreads summary.  I was not sure if I was going to enjoy this book when I started.  I was a bit confused at the beginning because I really didn't read a lot of fairy tales when I was growing up.  But I'm glad I kept reading and now I'm just waiting for the next one in the series.  I'm also waiting to get this one for my library because I've got a few kids in mind for this book.

I also read Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson.  Wow, such a powerful book! Click here for a Goodreads summary.  I think that everyone, teachers and parents and students, should be required to read this book!  I even shed a tear at the end.  This book made me realize that we all should be a more kind to people.  It's a given that I'm going to purchase this book for my library.

Another book that I read this week was Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole.  Click her for a Goodreads summary.  I just loved this book.  It is a wordless picture book.  I was in awe of the details that Henry Cole put into the illustrations.  His illustrations were so detailed that you could truly understand the whole story without words.  I'm just so excited because Henry Cole is coming to visit my school in February!  This is the first time that I've hosted a author/illustrator at my school.  I would appreciate any and all tips that you might have for me.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

5 comments:

  1. dying to read Unspoken, but it hasn't come in at my library yet! It looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Each Kindness to my third grade reading group last week. We had just finished another book that tied into kindness. I have to admit, I teared up a bit while I read it - and I caught quite a few teary eyes among my students. It was a great springboard for discussion.

    One student commented that he didn't like how sad the ending was. So we talked about how we can imagine a happier ending if the story continues - the child has learned about kindness and will definitely be kinder to the next child she meets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Each Kindness. While I wanted a happy ending, that's not what happens in real life. I think the sense of regret and remorse is so real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really want to read Each Kindness. I also enjoyed Unspoken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson in my list of books to be borrowed from the library. It's also been nominated for Cybils 2012. :) I've been hearing so much about Unspoken, I really hope I can find it in our libraries here. Have a great reading week ahead of you, Stacey! :)

    ReplyDelete