Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Break from Kid Lit

I really needed a break from kid lit.  I was not enjoying the books as much as I have in recent weeks.  I guess you could say I was in a reading rut.  To get out of it I pulled out some of my grown-up book authors and found some of their newest offerings.  About a two years ago I was really sick, it was right after I got my Kindle, and I was unable to go out to get anything new to read.  I came across Julie Hyzy's books.  She has got two different series out.  The first series that I stared reading is the White House Chef Mysteries.  In this series the main character is the White House Chef and allows seems to be in the center of the mystery.  This series is a just a fun read.  Her other series is Manor House Mysteries.  This time the main character is the new curator of Manor House and does some investigating on the side.


The other series that I came across, is surprise, another fun mystery series:  Cupcake Bakery Mystery by Jenn McKinlay.  The fourth book in the series, Red Velvet Revenge was published on July 3rd.  This series is also a very fun read, but since it has to do with baking I find myself craving some sweets as I'm reading.  This series led me to another fun "food" mystery series:  Donut Shop Mysteries by Jessica Beck.  My only hint about this book is, try not to read on an empty stomach because each chapter ends with a donut recipe!  I haven't made any of them yet, but they sound wonderful!!


It's been nice to take a break from kid lit, but I've found a few that I'm looking at to get me started again next week.


Happy Reading


Stacey (@libraryjo92)

1 comment:

  1. When I need a jump start, I go to the public library and check out a bunch of new adult nonfiction. It makes it easier to change gears completely, and I feel better after I've read something else!

    ReplyDelete