Monday, March 12, 2012

Book Spine Poems

We are testing this week, so I wanted a fun activity for my 5th Grade Students.  An elementary school librarian, Travis Jonker, whose blog I read and I also follow him on Twitter (http://100scopenotes.com/ and @100scopenotes) posted an interesting activity:  Book Spine Poems.  I was intrigued.  I looked at the examples that he post and the links to more examples.  I was hooked.  Here is the link to the page where he talks about the Book Spine Poems (http://100scopenotes.com/2012/03/06/wanted-book-spine-poems/)  Basically, find a place with a lot of books and put some titles together and see what strikes you.


It was very interesting watching my students do this activity.  Some embraced the challenge and some could not think outside the box and struggled.  I let them use the iPod Touch and the digital cameras to take pictures of their creations.  A good time was had by all.  This time I limited them to only the Everybody section.  I told them that we would be doing this activity again, but they would have access to the whole library.  


Below I've posted some of the kids examples and two of mine.  I've labeled which is which.  I'm doing this again on Friday and I'll update with some more examples.  Let me know what you think about the Book Spine Poems!


Don't forget, you can follow me on Twitter @libraryjo92.


Stacey


Mine

Mine

Student Created

Student Created

Student Created

Student Created (a favorite)

Student Created (a favorite)


No comments:

Post a Comment